The official monthly Electronic Newsletter of the
Southern Nevada EAA Chapter 1300
P.O. Box 570561, Topaz Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, 89157-0561
Volume 9, Issue 11
Next Meeting Location:
Our next meeting will be held on November 12th in Mike Smith's hangar at Boulder City Airport at 7:30 pm.
2008 Officers and Directors:
EAA Chapter 1300
|Vice President:||Mike Perger|
|Director VGT:||Armin Tuma|
|Director BLD:||Glenn Smith|
|Director HND:||Glenn Carlson|
Presidents Corner November 2008
Last month at VGT we watched a short DVD that Armin Tuma put together on the Tonopah Young Eagles rally (May ’08). I had almost forgot the cold and low clouds we had to deal with. The smiles from the kids were just as great as I remembered though. That’s the best part. Thanks Armin for putting this together.
The Club Picnic / Henderson Hangar Party was a great success. We had roughly 150 people attend and by all accounts everyone had a good time. The food was great, the music and movies kept everyone entertained, and we didn’t run out of anything! Thanks to Roger Hansen for being the community organizer on this, and to all the folks (especially Vince and Anne Cappizzi and Dean Herrington) who helped pull it off.
We had a great turnout of pilots for the Pahrump Young Eagles rally last Saturday. I think we had about 10 planes! The weather was perfect and although we had fewer kids than last year, their response was as enthusiastic as ever. Chapter 1160 co-hosted with us and handled all the signups and site logistics. Those of us who could stay enjoyed a great potluck afterwards provided by the Pahrump crew. Thanks to Mike Smith, Jim Bonelli, Standley Davis, and Glenna Wagner and all the volunteers that helped make this (our fourth) Pahrump rally a success.
The CCAA has confirmed December 6th as the airport open house date for VGT. The goal is to educate the public by providing several participating organizations an opportunity to explain their role in maintaining safety and providing airport benefits to the community. As of now, the open house will include a static aircraft display area (we will be looking for a couple member’s planes to show – contact me or Jim Bonelli), goodie bags for the kids, and a paper airplane contest (by the 99s). Our Chapter will have a table to spread the word on EAA. I will be looking for volunteers to represent us so please let me know by email or phone if you can attend.
Remember that the November 12th Chapter meeting is scheduled for the Boulder City Airport – Glenn Smith’s Hangar at 7:30pm as usual. Call me if you need directions. Be sure to attend because we will be electing our Officers and Directors for 2009. If you’re not there, you can’t say NO. We will meet again at the Railroad Pass Cafe for dinner at 6:00 if you can make it early.
See you at 61B,
SOUTHERN NEVADA EAA CHAPTER 1300
Minutes of Meeting
October 8, 2008
No. Las Vegas (KVGT) Terminal Building-Grand Canyon Room
Meeting called to order at 7:40 PM by Chapter President, Terry Frazier.
- Jim Shopp, friend of Roger Hansen
- Bob Rogers, potential RV12 builder
- Mike Franco and son Eric who is interested in an aviation career.
- No new update on Tom Buck’s medical condition.
- Jim Wallace a member who was building an RV7A passed away in September.
- Pahrump Young Eagles set for November 1.
- November 12, 2008 meeting will be at Boulder City (61B).
- October 18, 2008 Boulder City Airport is having their open house 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Mike Smith is looking for planes and pilots to fly some Young Eagles. No other details on that part available. Contact Mike for more information if can go.
- EAA Chapter 1300 picnic on October 18, 2008 at Roger Hansen’s hangar. D/E rows (HND).
Will also be an IMAX movie “Fighter Pilot-Operation Red Flag” showing in hangar D7. Need to RSVP to Roger. Presently have 103 attendees, some of whom are 1300 members. To enter the airport go through gate 3. Someone will be posted there.
- Social hour 6-7PM
- Eating from 7-8PM
- Music and mingling from 8-11PM.
- Armin Tuma showed the video he made of the events in Tonopah at the Jim Butler/Young Eagles rally May 24, 2008. Weather not the greatest but a good and safe time was had by all. Tonopah looking to do the same in 2009.
- M/S/P to accept September 10, 2008 minutes as posted on the web site.
- Presented by Brian Prinzavalli. Balance as of September 30, 2008 was $1,917.12. M/S/P to accept report as presented.
- Discussion on the KVGT accidents with an update given by Jim Bonelli on the CCAA meetings and planned action.
- Plans are to do an open house at KVGT on December 6, 2008 with displays, food, etc from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Will need volunteers. Approval process in the hands of Randy Walker.
- Tentative plans to do the same at Henderson possibly February 2009.
- Need volunteers to help sit up, tear down and cook on October 18. See Roger Hansen for details.
- M/S/P to have the Chapter Christmas party (dinner) at the HND restaurant. January 2009 meeting will then be at KVGT.
- Application has been sent in to the EAA to have the B-17 visit HND in 2009. Awaiting approval. Chapter 163 aware of our application. They may also make an application for KVGT.
- Keith Hopkey reported on zip code placement of members. We have 19 members living north of Tropicana and 31 members living south of Tropicana. Another 2 have Post Office Box zip codes, 1 in Beatty, 1 in Cal/Nev/Ari, 1 in Logandale, 1 in St. Charles, Illinois and 1 in Washington, Utah. Discussion ensued on where the main meeting facility for 1300 should be. Pros and cons of HND, KVGT and 61B were discussed. Discussion was left as an item to be further pursued in 2009.
Chapter Committee Reports:
- Nominating committee reported nominations filled and needed for 2009. Elections will be held at November 2009 meeting.
- President - Roger Hansen
- Vice President - Terry Frazier
- Secretary - Open
- Treasurer - Brian Prinzavalli
- Director for HND - Open
- Director for KVGT - Armin Tuma
- Director for 61B - Open
- New business discussion from the floor.
- Discussion on the 406 mhz ELT. 121.5 will not be monitored for ELT signals after February 2009. At the present time 406s are costing $800-$1,000 and have a five year battery with a replacement cost of $300. It is anticipated competition will drive the prices down as more product may become available from other vendors.
- Safety/Accidents: Discussion on the homebuilt P-51 accident at Sandy Valley.
- Builders Support: Randy Holland looking for some A&P assistance.
- Young Eagles:
- Boulder City- October 18
- Pahrump-is November 1
- HND-probable Courtney’s Children February 2009.
- Air Academy: Discussion about an EAA on-line program for Freshman to Senior age students. At the end of the program participants are ready to take the FAA written Private Pilot exam and earn a couple college credits. Cost around $400. Will be a discussion item at the January 2009 meeting.
- Social: Hangar visits continue to take place at HND Saturday mornings. There is a Henderson Hangar Group breakfast on Saturdays at 8:00 AM at the Kopper Keg.
- We need everyone to be on the lookout for topics.
- November meeting may have video of the 35 ship formation flight at OshKosh. Terry working on it.
M/S/P to adjourn meeting at 9:03 PM, with a reminder of our next meeting at Boulder City Airport (61B) in Glenn Smith’s hangar November 12, 2008, at 7:30 PM.
- Jim Bonelli won the 50/50 cash drawing.
Submitted by Keith Hopkey, Secretary
Everyone is encouraged to submit material, information, or pictures of interest for publication on the Chapter’s Webpage.
Send whatever you have to Randy Holland, webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org
The NEW chapter webpage URL is http://www.eaa1300.org
. Be sure to update any bookmarks.
Refreshments are provided each month by volunteers. We very much appreciate the generosity of those who participate.
We will see you at the meeting on November 12th.
Remember to wear your name badge, and be sure to bring a friend!