top_picture EAA

Welcome, Guest!

(Click Here to Log In)

The official monthly Electronic Newsletter of the
Southern Nevada EAA Chapter 1300
P.O. Box 570561, Topaz Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, 89157-0561
October 2008
Volume 9, Issue 10

Next Meeting Location:
Our next meeting will be held on October 8th in the Grand Canyon Room of the Main Terminal at the North Las Vegas Airport at 7:30 pm.

2008 Officers and Directors:
President:Terry Frazier
Vice President:Mike Perger
Secretary:Keith Hopkey
Treasurer:Brian Prinzavalli
Director VGT:Armin Tuma
Director BLD:Glenn Smith
Director HND:Glenn Carlson

Presidents Corner:
EAA Chapter 1300
Presidents Corner October 2008

A big Thanks to Fred Wilson for his post crash survival talk at last months Chapter meeting. Fred presented lots of useful information including examples of the survival equipment he carries and an interactive discussion on what can be done to improve your chance of survival. Folks are still talking about what we should do when the water runs out!

The CCAA meeting on 9/4 regarding what to do in response to the August VGT accidents was useful from my perspective. As of now, the plan is to have open houses at VGT and HND to provide education and outreach to the surrounding communities. The general public has so many misconceptions about aviation, that this looks like a good place to start. The plan as we left the meeting was to have the VGT open house on December 6th, and HND by maybe February. All of this is of course in the earliest phase of planning, so anything can change.

We are still on for the Overton Young Eagles rally Saturday October 4th. Volunteers contact Mike Smith for Young Eagles pilots, and Jim Bonelli for ground support. Thanks.

Remember that the October 8th Chapter meeting is scheduled for the North Las Vegas terminal at 7:30pm as usual. We will meet again at Town Center II 2992 W Cheyenne Ave (702-646-1131) for dinner at 6:30.

Also, be sure to mark your calendar for the October 18th Hangar Party/Chapter Picnic at E/D row hangars at Henderson. We are planning social hour at 6 pm with BBQ at 7pm with lots to do including live music & entertainment in addition to eating of course.

See you @ Overton,

Terry Frazier

Meeting Minutes:

Minutes of Meeting
September 10, 2008
Henderson (HND) Airport Terminal Building

Meeting called to order at 7:35 PM by Chapter President, Terry Frazier.

New Members:
  • Christopher J. Calvey, MGM Mirage Aviation Captain

  • Rick Sked, RV-10
  • Mike Daniel & friend Elizabeth
  • Richard Degelman, Zenith 701
  • John Murphy & son Matt, Aeronca Champ
  • Robert Woods, RV7A
  • Gregg Stevenson, EAA Australia, here now and restores antiques and is an A&P/IA
  • Sebastian Trost, new to area from EAA Chapter 512 and looking for a hangar

  • Update from some members on Tom Buck. He is in a single family assisted living unit. He can walk with the aid of a walker but needs people assistance because his left leg will give out without notice.
  • Flabob Airport open house Saturday, September 27. EAA’er Tom Proberezney and Burt Rutan will be guest speakers.
  • Overton Young Eagles, Saturday October 4. Mike has seven planes at this time. Will also need ground support.
  • October meeting will be at No. Las Vegas (KVGT), October 8, 2008 @ 7:30 PM.
  • October 18, 2008 Boulder City Airport is having their open house. Not sure about Young Eagle flights at this time. Some discussion has taken place on a possible temporary control tower. More info to follow from Mike Smith at a later time.
  • EAA Chapter 1300 picnic on October 18, 2008 at Roger Hansen’s hangar. D/E rows (HND). Social hour 6-7PM; Eating from 7-8PM; Music and mingling from 8-11PM. Will also be an IMAX movie “Fighter Pilot-Operation Red Flag” showing in hangar D7.
  • Fred Wilson presented an excellent program entitled “You’ve crash landed off-field, can’t walk, now what?” Fred demonstrated survival kit contents, survival tips on items that can be scavenged and used from the airplane as well as personal survival hints. Converting one gallon of drinking water into four gallons was an interesting topic. Have Fred explain that to you sometime. All in all, the presentation was informative and gave us all food for thought on how we would be prepared or not prepared to survive after an off airport crash landing.
  • Roger Hansen also shared information on the new “Spot” personal tracker.
Business Meeting:
  • M/S/P to accept June 11, 2008 minutes as posted on the web site.
Treasurer’s Report:
  • Presented by Brian Prinzavalli. Balance as of August 31, 2008 was $1,907.12. M/S/P to accept report as presented.
Old Business:
  • None
New Business:
  • Nominating committee working on 2009 Chapter Officer nominees. Need all positions. If interested contact Dave Lerner, Jim Bonelli or Terry Frazier.
  • Discussion regarding events/meeting following the two recent VGT fatal accidents. CCAA and local EAA members have met with homeowners in two separate meetings. Much information was shared by all. Need for a plan to overcome fears of “airplanes falling out of the sky”. Need for a nomenclature glossary of terms for the uninformed regarding building and flying airplanes. There will be continued meetings spearheaded by CCAA including the two local EAA Boards.
    • KNPR radio will have some discussion the week of September 15 including Dave Lerner, Randy Walker among others.
  • M/S/P for the Chapter to purchase food, estimate $500, for the October 18, 2008 Chapter picnic/HND hangar party at Roger Hansen’s hangar. Donations will be accepted at the door. If donations exceed food costs, Chapter 1300 will retain any profits. If there is a shortfall, the hangar owners will cover.
    • With Chapter members, hangar friends, and HND airport personnel, 75-100 people expected. Working with HND personnel to allow people to enter through gate 3.
    • Need for volunteers to cook, setup and tear down. More details to be firmed up by the October 8 Chapter meeting.
  • M/S/P for Terry to pursue inviting the EAA B-17 to visit HND during their 2009 tour. Terry will speak with Bob Floodeen, Chapter 163 President to see what their intentions are since for the past two years they have sponsored the B-17.
  • “Straw vote approval” for Terry to proceed with discussions with HND restaurant for the Chapter’s Christmas party to be held the 2nd Wednesday of December. There was discussion about why not hold it at KVGT. Not sure of KVGT restaurant availability but some indicated it should be available. Will also discuss at the October 8, 2008 Chapter meeting at KVGT.
    • Some discussion regarding reduced frequency of meetings at KVGT and more being held at HND. Work will be done to determine membership geographical location for future discussions. Few KVGT members attend meetings at HND and few HND members attend meetings at KVGT.
  • New business discussion from the floor:
    • No other new business discussion from the floor.
Chapter Committee Reports:
  • Safety/Accidents: No further discussion. See above comments.
  • Builders Support: Need for members to write their Senators and Congressman regarding the 51% ruling. Comment period ends September 30, 2008.
  • Young Eagles: Overton-October 4, 2008; Boulder City-possible October 18 but nothing firm; Pahrump-some question on the date but tentative is November 1; HND-probable Courtney’s Children February 2009.
  • Social: Hangar visits continue to take place at HND Saturday mornings. There is a Henderson Hangar Group breakfast on Saturdays at 8:00 AM at the Kopper Keg.
Future Programs:
  • We need everyone to be on the lookout for topics.
Status Reports:
  • None noted
  • Mike Smith won the 50/50 cash drawing winning $49.00.
M/S/P to adjourn meeting at 9:30 PM, with a reminder of our next meeting at No. Las Vegas (KVGT) in the Grand Canyon room, October 8, 2008, 2008 at 7:30 PM.

Submitted by Keith Hopkey, Secretary

Webpage Material:
Everyone is encouraged to submit material, information, or pictures of interest for publication on the Chapter’s Webpage. Send whatever you have to Randy Holland, webmaster ( The NEW chapter webpage URL is Be sure to update any bookmarks.

Refreshments are provided each month by volunteers. We very much appreciate the generosity of those who participate.

We will see you at the meeting on October 8th.

Remember to wear your name badge, and be sure to bring a friend!

Contact: Webmaster